Medical Malpractice Insurance for Medical Practitioners
Medical Malpractice Insurance, also known as Med-mal Insurance, is designed to cover a medical professional against claims of medical negligence. This is an act, error or omission by a medical professional that deviates from the accepted medical standard of care and which then results in damages. Some examples of negligence in this context may include the failure to diagnose, misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and/or the premature discharge of a patient.
We offer a claims made based insurance policy which, subject to the retroactive date contained in the policy, provides effective cover that is triggered when a claim is made against our client during the policy period – regardless of when the alleged wrongful act occurred.
Genoa understands that claim events can be unsettling for any medical professional, and often cause mental and emotional trauma and even possible reputational damage. We are dedicated to making positive contributions to the long-term sustainability of the South African medical sector, and after careful assessment of current market conditions. We have been underwriting Professional Indemnity insurance for the last 15 years and clearly understand your needs. Some of our high level product benefits include:
- A market leading Claims Made insurance policy, supported by the world’s largest Re-insurer, Munich Re & Swiss Re.
- Highly competitive claims made premiums.
- The choice of customizable limits of indemnity with the minimum limit available being R1,000,000 and the maximum limit being R50,000,000.
- Tailor-made excess options (Including a zero excess) to suit your pocket.
- An automatic 60 month extended reporting period (ERP) for practitioners that have been insured through us for a period of 36 consecutive months or more. This may be extended at Underwriters discretion.
- 24/7 access to in-house Attorneys and/or Medico-legal advisors who will assist you with any queries or concerns which you may have
- We offer a comprehensive online CPD library.
- We offer Practitioners access to an online claims portal to easily lodge and check on claim status.
- In assisting our Practitioners with best-practice management, we have partnered with SA Medical Specialists & Health Practitioners to ensure that our Practitioners will be able to get access to:
- a free website plagiarism check which ensures that your business benefits from improved Google rankings and even more importantly does not fall foul of legal copyright infringement.
- a preferential rate for the inclusion of a legal disclaimer on your website.
- free website hosting and reporting for 24 months for any Practitioners that use SA Medical Specialists & Health Practitioners (click here to visit their website) to create a new website for their practice.
- Access to the top medical-malpractice Attorneys in the country:
Our claims made based policy offers Automatic sub-limited extensions so that our practitioners may balance the costs of the insurance against the cover which best suits their insurance needs. These extensions include:
- Attendance costs
- Breach of confidentiality
- Claims Preparation costs
- Criminal Defence Costs
- Extended reporting period/Run-off cover
- Fidelity Guarantee
- Fines & Penalties
- Good Samaritan Acts/Emergency First Aid
- Loss of Documents
- Mitigation of Loss
- Negligent advice given free of charge
- Premium holiday and emigration
- Products & defective workmanship liability
- Public Liability
- Public relations expenses
- Wrongful arrest