Medical Malpractice Insurance, also known as Medmal Insurance, is designed to cover a medical professional against claims of medical negligence. This is an act, error or omission by a medical professional that deviates from the accepted medical standard of care resulting in damages. Examples of negligence in this context include failure to diagnose, misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and/or the premature discharge of a patient.
Genoa understands that these ordeals can be unsettling for any medical professional, often causing mental and emotional trauma and, in some cases, reputational damage. We are dedicated to making positive contributions to the long-term sustainability of the South African medical sector, and after careful assessment of current market conditions, we offer our medical professionals:
- A market leading Claims Made Insurance Policy underwritten by a blue chip Insurer and supported by the world’s largest Re-insurer, Munich Re.
- The choice of different limits of indemnity. The minimum limit available is R1,000,000 and the maximum limit is R50,000,000.
- Customisable excesses – we provide our practitioners with 3 excess options with premium savings for higher excesses. The option for a nil excess is also available.
- An automatic 60-month Extended Reporting Period (ERP) for practitioners that have been insured through us for a period of 36 consecutive months or more.
- The ability to purchase an Additional Extended Reporting Period (AERP) which will run from the time that the ERP comes to an end
- Speciality support from our in-house legal and medical team to assist our clients with best practice management of their operations. Two teams are currently on call to assist:
- In-house legal as represented by Jacqueline Smith
- Dr Brad Beira –Tech. (chiro), ICSSD, BCom Law (Unisa), LLM (UK)
- 24/7 Medico-legal support line where highly experienced advisers are continually available to assist with any medico queries as well as psychological challenges following complaints or investigations.
- Access to top medical malpractice attorney firms in SA:
- Our Specialist clients free access to Online CPD Compliance and Education Platform. This includes access to Medical CPD Journals (local and international), Online Medical Courses and access to their own Medical CPD Manager.
In partnership with Medical Practice Consulting (MPC)
- Relevant and innovative patient relationship management guidance garnered from sound international research and first-hand experience.
Our claims made based policy offers Automatic sub-limited extensions so that our practitioners may balance the costs of the insurance against the cover which best suits their insurance needs. These extensions include:
- Attendance costs
- Breach of confidentiality
- Claims Preparation costs
- Criminal Defence Costs
- Extended reporting period/Run-off cover
- Fidelity Guarantee
- Fines & Penalties
- Good Samaritan Acts/Emergency First Aid
- Loss of Documents
- Mitigation of Loss
- Negligent advice given free of charge
- Premium holiday and emigration
- Products & defective workmanship liability
- Public Liability
- Public relations expenses
- Wrongful arrest
We offer a claims made based insurance policy which, subject to the retroactive date contained in the policy, provides effective cover that is triggered when a claim is made against our client during the policy period – regardless of when the alleged wrongful act occurred.
Contact Genoa today for more information on any of our offered policies.